Read this book! “Bite-Sized Marketing: realistic solutions for the overworked librarian”

If you’ve ever had to promote anything, you know how hard it can be to get people’s attention and get them to take action. This book shows you how to successfully engage your patrons, the press, and corporate sponsors. The book starts out by talking about WOMM or Word of Mouth Marketing, the idea that the best kind of marketing is spread person to person and that 10% of the population in your community influences the other 90%. People identify with an organization if they can connect to their personal values. That’s where Storytelling comes in. Don’t promote your library with facts and statistics alone, use authentic stories about how a patron’s life was positively impacted by the library. Create and maintain a Story Bank.

The book encourages engagement with your community. Start with a small group, a whiteboard, and some markers. The next challenge: tackling the press. The authors lay out exactly how to build a relationship with the press, how to write and send a press release, and create PSAs for local radio stations. The authors suggest that “any news that includes accomplishments of individual staff members should be sent to their hometown newspapers as well as their college alumni newsletters.”

The book also details how to maintain an online presence especially in the social media sphere. Libraries are now utilizing not only websites and blogs but Flickr, Youtube, Twitter and Podcasts. The book also includes sections on how to work with a designer and how to create a cohesive brand for your library. This is a must read for any library enthusiast. I give it 5 out of 5 stars.

One of the authors, Nancy Dowd, is also the author of two blogs: The M Word and The Best of Library Videos.

About these ads
This entry was posted in Book Reviews and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Read this book! “Bite-Sized Marketing: realistic solutions for the overworked librarian”

  1. Lesley says:

    Thanks for this review! I’ve become increasingly interested in how librarians can market their libraries, resources, and services. Such an important thing.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s